LIV Golf’s Positive Momentum Continues With Report Of Pending Open Championship Route
LIV Golf may be poised to welcome a second Major exemption pathway to its players after the US Open confirmed a route earlier this week


The LIV Golf League is set to receive an exemption pathway into The Open Championship this year, according to a report by The Telegraph's James Corrigan.
Per Corrigan, the route is unlikely to offer more than a handful of places to the highest non-exempt LIV players and will be confirmed "in the next few weeks," but the first beneficiaries of the plan will occur ahead of Royal Portrush in July.
The apparent decision would mark a significant u-turn from The R&A - which banned former LIV CEO Greg Norman from attending the 150th Open in his official capacity - and would continue to signal further positive momentum, not only for LIV but also for men's professional golf.
The R&A gave no comment to The Telegraph about the matter and told Golf Monthly earlier this week that it will be announcing its criteria soon.
Earlier this week, the PIF-backed circuit received further good news when it was announced that the US Open had officially set aside one place for the highest non-exempt LIV golfer to compete at Oakmont Country Club.
Current LIV golfer, Cameron Smith won The Open in 2022
That number will rise to two in 2026, when the leading non-exempt golfers inside the top three prior at the end of the campaign and prior to a cut-off point in May will tee it up at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club.
In addition, the top-10 players in the standings after the culmination of LIV Golf Korea 2025 (May 2-4) will earn direct routes into final US Open qualifying and have a chance to book their place via 'golf's longest day.'
Get the Golf Monthly Newsletter
Subscribe to the Golf Monthly newsletter to stay up to date with all the latest tour news, equipment news, reviews, head-to-heads and buyer’s guides from our team of experienced experts.
However, should already-exempt golfers possess the respective spots, no fresh players will be offered the chance to compete at the year's third Major.
In a statement, the USGA said: "For the 2025 championship, a full exemption will be awarded to the top player who is not otherwise exempt and in the top 3 of the 2025 LIV Golf Individual Standings as of May 19, 2025."
The release went on to add: "In addition, a local exemption will be awarded to the top 10 players from the 2025 LIV Golf Individual Standings as of April 7, 2025."
LIV's concrete route into the US Open and prospective version into The Open Championship will almost certainly increase the likelihood of the other two men's Majors following suit at some point.
While there is currently no official pathway, The Masters and PGA Championship have already offered invitations to key players in the 54-hole league over the past couple of years, with Joaquin Niemann being given starts at The Masters and PGA Championship in both 2024 and 2025.
Should The Open go ahead with confirming exemption criteria for the LIV Golf League, it would mark the latest piece of positive momentum for the breakaway tour over the past several months.
Six new players have joined LIV since September while many of the 13 teams have agreed fresh sponsorship deal with notable brands. Also, Scott O'Neil has replaced Greg Norman as CEO and LIV has agreed a fresh US TV deal with FOX Sports.
Then, in between rounds one and two of the season-opening LIV Golf Riyadh this week, LIV confirmed it had penned an agreement with ITV to show live action in the UK with immediate effect.
Jonny Leighfield is our Staff News Writer who joined Golf Monthly just in time for the 2023 Solheim Cup and Ryder Cup. He graduated from the University of Brighton with a degree in Sport Journalism in 2017 and spent almost five years as the sole sports reporter at his local newspaper. During his time with Golf Monthly, Jonny has interviewed several stars of the game, including Robert MacIntyre, Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood, and Joaquin Niemann. An improving golfer himself, Jonny enjoys learning as much about the game as he can and recently reached his Handicap goal of 18 for the first time. He attended both the 150th and 151st Open Championships and dreams of attending The Masters one day.
You must confirm your public display name before commenting
Please logout and then login again, you will then be prompted to enter your display name.
-
Valero Texas Open Tee Times 2025: Round Four
Brian Harman has a healthy lead heading into the final round at TPC San Antonio
By Mike Hall Published
-
Can You Take A Camera To The Masters?
Attending Augusta National for the Major is a dream for many golf fans - but can you take a camera?
By Mike Hall Published
-
'I'm Working Hard To Figure It Out' - Bryson DeChambeau Reveals New 'Prototype' Golf Balls Are In The Works
After changing his golf ball at the start of 2025, DeChambeau revealed in Miami that there are some new prototype models currently being worked on
By Matt Cradock Published
-
9 LIV Golfers Who Have Dropped Out Of The Masters Field Over The Last Two Years
Some LIV golfers who had played in The Masters over the last two years won’t be appearing in 2025 – here are the details
By Mike Hall Published
-
Koepka Reveals Which Two PGA Tour Events He’d Be ‘Open’ To Playing In Again
Although there's no sign of it happening anytime soon, Brooks Koepka has named the two tournaments he'd like to play in if allowed back on the PGA Tour
By Paul Higham Published
-
'Some Of Those Players Have Gone Soft' Sir Nick Faldo On Why Life On 'Fail-Free' LIV Golf Has Become Too Comfortable
Sir Nick Faldo says life playing in LIV Golf is too comfortable and has meant that "some of those players have gone soft" while also again scoffing at the tour's business model.
By Paul Higham Published
-
No Deal In Sight As PGA Tour Reportedly Rejects $1.5 billion Saudi PIF Offer Due To LIV Golf Demands
The PGA Tour has reportedly turned down a $1.5bn investment from the Saudi PIF due to demands being made over LIV Golf's future and Yasir Al-Rumayyan being installed as a top executive
By Paul Higham Published
-
Sergio Garcia 'Super Proud' To Reach Major Milestone In The Masters
Sergio Garcia says he's "super proud" to be joining an exclusive club at The Masters as it'll be his 100th appearance in a Major championship
By Paul Higham Published
-
LIV Golf Masters Form Guide - How Well Have The 12 Men In The Field Been Playing Ahead Of Augusta?
Some doubts have been cast on how well the 12 LIV Golf players in the Masters field have been performing ahead of Augusta National, so let's take a look at their form
By Paul Higham Published
-
'I Think We All Hoped It Would Have Been A Little Further Long, And That's No Secret' - Brooks Koepka's Echoes Recent Tough Love Towards LIV Golf
The five-time Major champion said progress is being made with the PIF-backed circuit after stating it was "quite far behind" its rivals on The Joe Pomp Show
By Jonny Leighfield Published